Fun additions to Skylights!
If your home has skylights, you might take them for granted. Other than providing extra natural light in your space, you probably don’t think too much about what you can do with them. There are, however, a number of fun things you can add to skylights to make them much more than windows! As you read the rest of this guide, you’ll discover what five of these things are and, hopefully, spark your creativity along the way.
- Holiday decorations – Very few people decorate their ceilings for the holidays but skylights allow you to add fun decorations throughout the year. Themed window clings are a great option but you can even add unexpected items as well. Securing a wreath to a skylight at Christmas time for instance, is sure to make a statement!
- Tints – You might not realize it, but skylights can be tinted to whatever shade you desire. Whether you want your skylights to be darker to provide added privacy and security for your family or you’re interested in adding a colorful tint, such as a purple or blue hue, it can be done. There are kits that allow you to tint your own windows or you can contact a professional to handle the project for you.
- Shapes for kids – If you have little ones in your house, you know that every moment can turn into a teaching moment. Your kids probably love looking at any skylights in your home, so make them educational! Whether you buy pre-made window clings or create your own shapes from construction paper, skylights are the perfect place to put shapes for your children to familiarize themselves with.
- Frosted contact paper – Although contact paper is most often used to line drawers and shelves, the clear variety can create a beautiful frosted glass look on windows and doors. Whether you’re interested in increased privacy or you just want to add visual interest to your skylight, looking-up a tutorial for how to do this project is sure to be right up your alley.
- Glowing stars and planets – Skylights are the ideal spot to put glow-in-the-dark ceiling stickers, such as stars and planets. Typically, these come in packs and they are perfect for kids and teens of all ages; many adults even like them!
Hopefully these ideas have helped you figure out something fun to do with the skylights in your home. Beautifying these windows is something you can do on your own to surprise your family or turn into a bonding activity for everyone in your household. No matter which option you choose, you’re sure to love your newly decorated skylights! If you have any questions about skylights or our capabilites as a window and roofing provider, give us a call today!