How To Tell You Need A New Roof
As a homeowner it is important that you keep all assets of your house in working in order. Making sure repairs are made, maintenance is completed and replacing various portions of your home when needed will end up saving you time and reducing stress and hassle.
1. Roof Age: How old is your roof? Is it 5 years old or 25 years old? This should be the first thing to consider when weighing whether you need a new roof or not. Most asphalt roofs last between 20-25 years so making a costly repair at age 25 of your roof could be a waste of money.
2. Neighbors Getting New Roofs: A majority of neighborhoods have homes that were built around the same time. If you are seeing that all your neighbors are getting roof replacements than your roofs time may also be up.
After the first step of realizing that your roof may be in the right time frame to get replaced, there are a handful of noticeable factors that provide a hint that something is wrong.
3. Missing Shingles: A few missing shingles here and there isn’t the end of the world. They can be replaced fairly easily. This becomes a major issues when shingles are falling off at a high rate. Eventually your roof could look like a checkerboard.
4. Granules in The Gutters: When shingles start breaking down, the asphalt shingles can start to fall off. From the naked eye, it may be tough to see but these granules will usually end up in your gutters.
5. Roof Valleys: The roof valley is an extremely important part of your roof. Check to make sure that the area is in tact. If shingles are missing or are falling apart, you could be in trouble.
6. Daylight Through The Roof: This may be one of the easiest things to check. Go up in your attic on a sunny day and check to see if there is any daylight coming through the roof boards. If there is then, rain and animals also have access into your home.
If you still have questions about whether you need a new roof, please feel free to reach out to REI Roofing. Our team of contractors provides inspections, repairs and installations throughout the Greater Boston Area and South Shore of Massachusetts. We can be reached over the phone at 781-848-1999 or through our online contact form.